Vitamins and minerals are not only for the body but also for oral health needs. We must take food that would provide the nutrients our teeth need, such as vitamins for teeth. You have to ensure that you have healthy teeth to say that you have good overall health too. We must take sufficient nutrients to keep the teeth strong and healthy. Furthermore, we should not forget that dental health is just as important as our overall health.
Dental building blocks
Vitamins for teeth and minerals as well, are essential to achieve a good set of healthy teeth. For this reason, let me give you the list of vitamins and minerals that you should consider in your food intake.
- Calcium: Well, this is no longer a surprise for us. We all know how calcium works for our teeth and the bones as well. Calcium plays a role in hardening the enamel and strengthening the jawbones.
- Vitamin D: It is the vitamin that helps the body to absorb calcium. Aside from that, it boosts bone mineral density. The common source that we know for Vitamin D is the sunlight.
- Potassium: It also supports bone mineral density. It even works with magnesium to control the blood’s acidity.
- Phosphorus: This serves as the body’s supporting nutrient to absorb calcium. It also works on building strong bones and teeth.
- Vitamin K: This is the vitamin that blocks the substances that may break down our bones. Teeth are not an exemption.
- Vitamin C: It is useful in strengthening the gums and soft tissues of the mouth. This vitamin is an excellent source of protection against gingivitis. Additionally, it also ensures your teeth won’t loosen.
- Vitamin A: This is the vitamin that contributes to a healthy mucous membrane. Aside from that, it prevents the mouth from becoming dry and also allows it to heal quickly.
Furthermore, B vitamins also play a vital role to keep good health and well-being. B vitamins have an essential impact in maintaining adequate energy levels, brain function and cellular metabolism.
It only means that each vitamin and mineral we take inside our body play different roles for our health. They can be playing prominent roles or support for other nutrients, such as to absorb calcium. Everything is working out together for the sake of a better and healthy body.
Good sources of vitamins and minerals for teeth
Generally speaking, our primary sources to obtain vitamins and minerals are the food we take. This article has also provided a list of foods and drinks rich in vitamins and minerals beneficial to your oral health.
- Cheese, milk and yogurt
- Leafy vegetables
- Apples and pears
- Tea and coffee
- Vitamin-C rich berries
- Sweet potatoes
- Whole grains
- Garlic and Onions
You might be able to find more foods or drinks that can support oral health needs. If that’s the case, feel free to share it with us. We all want to achieve an excellent dental health condition and overall health in general.
On the other hand, we have mentioned the food sources that can provide the nutrients beneficial to our dental health. Now, let us provide you with some of the foods that you better avoid in order to maintain your gums’ health.
Unhealthy foods for the teeth
It would be best to stay away from these foods if you want to keep a good set of healthy teeth. Aside from that, you will get little to no nutrients in these foods.
- Sticky candies and sweets
- Starchy foods
- Carbonated soft drinks
- Food substances that can dry the mouth
- Alcoholic beverages
- Potato chips
- Dried fruits
You won’t be harm by letting go of these foods. If not, you have to observe full limitations when consuming them. You don’t want to ruin your teeth in the long run completely.
Support the vitamins with oral hygiene routine
Of course, vitamins and minerals should not work alone. Physically, you have to work for your teeth as well to keep them healthy. You have to practice proper oral hygiene. You have to brush your teeth regularly, floss at least once a day, and rinsing with mouthwash is also advisable. But the most important thing you should do is to visit your dentist regularly.
Your dentist is the best person to look into your teeth condition after all. They are well-educated on how to address oral issues and how to prevent them from re-occurring. Generally speaking, Albany dentists at Amity Dental Centre are the best preventive dental care providers.
Aside from that, dentists can give you recommendations on how to take care of your teeth—starting from the food intake down to taking care of your actual teeth.
If you want to ensure your mouth and teeth’ health, getting the right nutrition is the best way to achieve that. It would be best to be familiar with the levels of nutrients our body needs explicitly. Not only for our oral health but for the overall health as well.