We have several types of essential oil. For instance, peppermint oil for sinus. These are natural treatments that relieve different minor health issues such as headaches, sinus congestion, inflammations, and many more. Nowadays, how to ease a stuffed nose is no longer a concern. You can find easy ways to relieve it. If natural treatments won’t work, a medical professional is always ready to serve you.
What is peppermint?
Peppermint is a kind of aromatic herb that happens to be a hybrid mint. It crossed between spearmint and watermint. They extract the leaves of the peppermint plant to obtain its essential oil. The peppermint essential oil is widely used for a variety of purposes as a natural relief.
Peppermint oil can be used in different forms such as a pure peppermint oil with high concentration, peppermint extracts, and enteric-coated capsules or supplements. You can choose any of these forms to what suits your preference.
Uses of peppermint oil
- Relieves congestion of the sinus
- Fights bacteria.
- Reduces inflammation.
- Helps relieve itching, headache as well as muscle pain.
- Serves as flavouring agents.
- Provides scents for soaps and cosmetic products.
In this article, let us discuss on how peppermint oil for sinus is beneficial. But before that, we will provide you with brief details about sinus congestion. Additionally, you would also know how you can confirm you have nasal congestion through the common symptoms.
It is a condition that occurs wherein the sinus cavities have a blockage. In effect, you will have a feeling of fullness in different parts of your head down to the neck. In reality, the most common cause of this congestion in your sinus is a virus or a cold. On the other hand, bacteria causing an infection is also a factor.
Additionally, the weather can also affect the condition of your sinuses, which can lead to dryness. Furthermore, medication overuse such as nasal decongestants will only make your nose fully dependent on it. In effect, it will stop healing on its own.
In this case, you can say that you have congestion in your sinus through the symptoms below.
Symptoms of a congested sinus
- There is a green or yellow discharge coming from your nose.
- You’ll feel full or blocked nose.
- You might also experience pain and tenderness in your cheeks, eyes, or forehead.
- Furthermore, it is also common to experience sinus headache.
- It will also affect your sense of smell.
- Above all, it can cause breathing difficulties.
Now, we have already mentioned the common symptoms of nasal congestion. Let us now move forward to how we can attain sinus relief using peppermint oil.
Peppermint oil for sinus
Several individuals consider inhaling a peppermint oil when they have blocked sinuses. Peppermint oil has a natural cooling effect that makes them feel good as sinus relief. Additionally, peppermint oil also contains menthol. This triggers the opening of airways and clearing of mucus. Menthol also contributes to the refreshing qualities of the peppermint oil.
Peppermint oil has the property to fight bacteria that can cause sinus congestion. Peppermint oil has a simple way of application. You can put a few drops in a bowl of warm water. After that, you can inhale the steam coming from it for a few minutes. In effect, the stuffiness of your nose will subside, including the other symptoms.
You can do steam inhalation either from a shower or using the bowl or basin with warm water. Steam inhalation can make the mucous membranes moist. The steam inhalation is a good option to relieve congestion in the sinus, especially during cold climates. Furthermore, it unblocks your sinuses to ease your breathing difficulties.
If you don’t prefer steam inhalation, you can also use a diffuser to spread the aroma of the peppermint oil in the air.
Potential side effects of peppermint oils
Peppermint oils are known to be safe. However, it might trigger side effects for some people. For example, it can cause heartburn or allergic reactions. There can be instances in which enteric peppermint oil may only worsen severe liver injury, heartburn, etc.
Additionally, peppermint aromatherapy is not good for your pets. It can be toxic to them. Aside from that, before using aromatherapy, make sure you check if it’s good for your children as well as for pregnant women. Those with high blood pressure should also be extra careful when using peppermint oils.
Large doses of peppermint oil are not recommended due to its toxic compound pulegone. Peppermint oil is best if diluted properly before topical use with only a few drops. Furthermore, peppermint oils can also cause irritation or rashes when applied to the skin. So, testing it first on a small portion of your skin will help to check.
Other sinus relief available
In case natural essential oils, such as peppermint oils, do not work for you, you can also consider the following medicines.
- Pain relievers such as ibuprofen to address sinus pressure.
However, it is important to take these medicines on the right dosage only. Since we are talking about essential oils as natural treatments, we will provide a few details about their advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages of essential oils
- Essential oils are effective even with just a few drops. With a little amount that you’ll apply, essential oils can already provide healing, protective, and regenerating effects.
- These are readily available in pharmacies at an affordable price.
- With the right amount, essential oils have low risk in having side effects.
- Essential oils can come in different blends that you can create on your own. This way, you would be able to generate maximized healing effects.
Disadvantages of essential oils
- Due to its strong properties, misuse of essential oils can lead to irritation and might worsen the symptoms you have for your sinus issues.
- There could be misleading claims and labels on essential oil products.
- It is important to realize that essential oils might also not work for some, depending on the severity.
- Research for essential oils is mostly animal-based or cultured cells. The highest potential of these oils is not yet explored.
All things considered, it would be best to know the right way to choose a high-quality essential oil. Ensure that your chosen essential oil will give you the maximum effectiveness and healing effects that you need.
Ways to prevent sinus congestion
- Keep your hands clean at all time. Wash them frequently and properly.
- It is recommended to have regular flu shots.
- Observe a balanced diet. Make sure to eat healthy foods to strengthen the immune system.
- Do regular exercises at home or inside a fitness gym.
- Quit smoking.
- Maintain a clean environment. De-clutter your home from things that you no longer use.
Nasal congestion can be prevented by following a healthy lifestyle. You also have to practice good hygiene. This way, you can eliminate the causes of congestion of sinus. Good hygiene is a basic practice that you have to do regularly to prevent diseases from pushing through.
If you don’t make changes in your lifestyle and hygienic practices, you should expect that diseases will come right after you. You cannot only experience congestion in your sinus. There are more diseases incorporated with a bad lifestyle and improper hygiene practices.
Remember, it will always start with you.