As a parent, it’s understandable that you only want what’s best for your child. No matter how hard life is, you try to provide them with the best things life could offer. And in line with this, you make sure that they consume the right nutrients for their development. In this article, we are going to discuss how to choose the best kid’s calcium supplements that are safe for children. Kids need calcium for strong and healthy bones for implant placement (if needed).
Why Is A Kids Calcium Supplement Needed
Raising children does not end in providing a roof above their heads, preparing meals every day, and sending them to the best schools. As a matter of fact, there are many factors that conclude to raising healthy kids. So let’s talk about the nutrients that they need growing up, specifically, calcium.
Calcium is an important mineral that can be found in foods and supplements. It’s imperative for your child to have sufficient calcium intake as it plays an essential role in their growth and development. Without calcium, they might suffer from bone diseases and weak bones. Additionally, calcium also helps in maintaining the health of their teeth and preventing tooth loss.
Calcium Requirements According To Age
To fully provide complete calcium for your kids, you need to know how much calcium they actually need according to age. Note that they will be needing a bigger amount of calcium as they grow old. Refer to the list below to know how much your child needs:
- 1 to 3 years old- 700 mg/day
- 4 to 8 years old- 1000mg/day
- 9 to 18 years old- 1300mg/day
Sadly, according to studies, most kids and teens don’t get enough calcium from natural resources. That is why kid’s calcium supplements are prevalent these days.
Choosing A Kids Calcium Supplement
Children are typically icky when it comes to food. This is probably the reason why some of them lack certain nutrients in their body. Fortunately, supplements are designed to complete their nutrient needs and ensure that they grow healthily. But because of multiple supplements here and there, it could get quite hard for parents to choose which calcium supplement is better.
Another factor to consider is that most calcium supplements do not include the actual amount of calcium that you’ll get per tablet.
In choosing calcium supplements for kids, you might want to consider the following factors:
- Calcium carbonate is supposed to be taken with meals as it needs stomach acid to dissolve properly. One of the downsides of calcium carbonate is that it has the tendency to cause constipation.
- Calcium citrate does not constipate and can be taken on an empty stomach. However, kids might need to take more pills as it only contains 20% calcium per pill.
- Calcium supplements that are made of dolomite, bone meal and oyster shell must be avoided. They most likely contain metal and lead which can be harmful to children.
- Certain types of calcium like calcium phosphate and calcium lactate contain very little amount of calcium and therefore are not typically recommended.
- Avoid getting deceived by advertisements for calcium.
Best Calcium Supplements For Kids
If you’re still not sure of what supplement to get for your child, listed below are the best calcium supplements for the year 2021:
- Yummi Bears. This product does not only contain calcium but other nutrients as well. Every pack is filled with 90 vegetarian supplements including Vit. D3.
- Osteonorm Multi For Kids. This supplement contains a large amount of calcium together with Vitamins B2, B6, K, C, and D3. Osteonorm Multi For Kids takes pride in its product because of its kid-friendly taste and efficiency.
- Childlife Liquid Calcium. This supplement claims that it’s safe for children of all ages, starting from infants up to teenagers. It’s packed with calcium together with Vitamins.
- Lil Critters. Lil Critters is a calcium supplement specifically designed for kids. Its gummy and colorful appearance makes it a child’s favorite supplement. Each gummy is packed with calcium from natural resources.
- Nature Made Kids First. Next on our list is a supplement that provides a large amount of calcium along with Vit. D3. Both of these nutrients are important in building strong bones. Plus, it comes in different flavors that kids definitely love which include strawberry, orange, and cherry flavors.
- Ecosafe Natural Calcium Gummies. Among all the supplements we discussed, only Ecosafe Natural Gummies offer 300 grams of bioavailable calcium per serving. The gummies are also free of wheat, dairy, gluten, soy, and gelatin.
- Now Supplements. NOW calcium supplements are chewable making them easy for children to consume.